Thursday, January 31, 2013

Review - Shades of Earth (Across the Universe 03) by Beth Revis

Title and Author: Shades of Earth (Across the Universe 03) by Beth Revis
Publisher: Razor Bill
Publication Date: January 15th, 2013
Paperback/Hardcover: 369
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopia
Find it at: Goodreads / Bookdepository


Summary: 
Amy and Elder have finally left the oppressive walls of the spaceship Godspeed behind. They're ready to start life afresh--to build a home--on Centauri-Earth, the planet that Amy has traveled 25 trillion miles across the universe to experience.
But this new Earth isn't the paradise Amy had been hoping for. There are giant pterodactyl-like birds, purple flowers with mind-numbing toxins, and mysterious, unexplained ruins that hold more secrets than their stone walls first let on. The biggest secret of all? Godspeed's former passengers aren't alone on this planet. And if they're going to stay, they'll have to fight.
Amy and Elder must race to discover who--or what--else is out there if they are to have any hope of saving their struggling colony and building a future together. They will have to look inward to the very core of what makes them human on this, their most harrowing journey yet. Because if the colony collapses? Then everything they have sacrificed--friends, family, life on Earth--will have been for nothing.
FUELED BY LIES.
RULED BY CHAOS.
ALMOST HOME.

Review:
I really enjoyed Across the Universe and A Million Suns, of course I had to read Shades of Earth and find out what would happen to Amy and Elder.
Amy and Elder have finally reached the new planet. This planet is not exactly what they thought it would be. Monsters and unknown enemies already inhabit the place and if Amy and Elder want to keep their people alive they’ll have to embark on a new adventure.
I think Amy is a good character. She can definitely be impulsive but I like how strong and brave she is. Her decisions might not always be the best but, in the end, her intentions are good and all she wants is to discover the truth.
Elder is still my favorite character. He’s sweet, smart and adventurous. I really liked how he was always trying to do the best for his people and how he never wanted to leave anyone behind. He’s a great, different character.
From the beginning I had the feeling I knew where Beth Revis was going with a certain character and, even though I was mostly right I still enjoyed the little twist there. I really can’t say more about this because I don’t want to spoil the story for anyone but once you read the book you’ll understand what I mean. J
The relationship between Amy and Elder develops nicely in this in this book.  We all know Elder really likes Amy but in Across the Universe or A Million Suns (I’m not entirely sure which right now) she says that if her only choice is Elder than that’s not really a choice so she doesn’t want to be with him. In Shades of Earth I think she starts to realize things are not exactly like that and that Elder is definitely right for her. There are some sweet moments between the two of them and I think they’re a good match for each other.
When it comes to the plot I enjoyed how Beth Revis was able to create a fun mystery involving the new planet and its possible inhabitants. The action kept me interested and entertained and so did all the twists and turns and the interaction between all the characters.
Beth Revis also did a great job creating this new world that is both similar and different to earth at the same time. It was easy to believe the new planet really did exist.
All in all, I really enjoyed Shades of Earth and think it’s a nice ending to the series. The book is well-written, imaginative and fast-paced. There’s action, mystery and a bit of romance.         

Rating: Between Worth Your Time and Must Read (4 ½ Stars) 


 





1 comment:

  1. I have read only the first one and liked it. I haven't gotten around to the second one yet, but someday, I'll get to it. The cover for this one looks so different from the rest though and it's making me want to know what happens next!

    ReplyDelete