Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Review - If I Stay by Gayle Forman

 Title and Author: If I Stay  by Gayle Forman
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
Publication Date: April 9, 2009
Paperback/Hardcover: 196
Genre: Young Adult

Summary
In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeen-year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she finds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck...
A sophisticated, layered, and heartachingly beautiful story about the power of family and friends, the choices we all make—and the ultimate choice Mia commands.

Review:
I had heard a lot of great things about this book before I read it and, even though I don’t feel as passionately about it as some people, I really enjoyed it.
If you ever wondered what an out of body experience would be like – what it would entail – this book is definitely for you!
After a terrible car crash Mia finds for herself what that out of body experience is like. While her body lies in a hospital bed, her spirit wanders around as she tries to understand what truly is happening to her by remembering her family and friends.
I wasn’t sure the plot of this book would work but it certainly did, especially considering Mia quickly realizes she has a choice to make. She has to choose between fighting for her life or letting go completely.
Mia is a very good main character. She’s real an honest. She loves her family, her best friend, her boyfriend and classical music. She grows as the story develops, becoming a stronger person.
Adam – Mia’s boyfriend – is my favorite character, though. He’s one amazing boyfriend. He’s caring, sweet and not afraid to make a big gesture. Have a mentioned he’s a rockstar? Yes, he is and a very sexy one at that.
This book can be an emotional rollercoaster at times. Characters emotions feel real and some moments can be heartbreaking.
I also love the fact music plays a great part on the story.
All in all this is a wonderfully well-written book, able to make you feel emotional and think about your own life.
I’ll definitely have to read Where She Went now!

Rating: Worth Your Time (4 Stars)

Bookdepository

8 comments:

  1. I've heard good things about these books too, but I haven't read them yet. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like an intriguing book. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this book. So simple yet heartfelt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. just recently finished this book and I love it so much. One of my best reads this year

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can easily say I felt like I got emotionally raped by the end of the story. In a good sense, but I grinned along with Mia as she remembered her good memories with Adam and her family, cried for Adam, Mia, her little brother, her parents, and who knows how many people, and begged Mia to not ever let go throughout this book. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked this book but I absolutely loved Where She Went.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! I loved this book, and Adam is my favorite character as well. The second book is even better!
    -Cali W.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you, I think Adam was by far a better character than Mia! I don't know, sometimes she seemed whiny and I couldn't stand her! I really liked the book though ;)
    eleonorerigby24(at)yahoo(dot)it

    ReplyDelete