Monday, August 10, 2015

Review - Red Queen (Red Queen 01) by Victoria Aveyard


Title: Red Queen (Red Queen 01) by Victoria Aveyard
Publisher: Orion
Publication Date: February 10th, 2015
Paperback/Hardcover: 2382
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Find it atGoodreads / Bookdepository

Summary: 
The poverty stricken Reds are commoners, living under the rule of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers.
To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from The Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.
Mare finds herself working in the Silver Palace, at the centre of
those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.
But power is a dangerous game. And in this world divided by blood, who will win?

Review:   
There was a lot of hype surrounding this book when it first came out so I was excited and curious to read it. Gladly, the book did not disappoint me.
Mare is Red girl living in a world ruled by Silvers. She knows she’s supposed to join the war raging on once she turns 18 and has accepted her fate until a series of unexpected events thrust her into the middle of the Silver court. As a new and mysterious group rises to fight against the Silver rule Mare has to decide what course of action to take while trying to keep the ones she loves safe.
Mare is definitely a good main character. She’s strong and determined and willing to do whatever is needed to survive and keep her family and friends alive and safe. She’s thrown into a difficult situation and her decisions might not always be the best but I think that, in a way, is completely normal given the circumstances and her need to trust someone and not feel so alone.
I must confess I’m not completely sure about Cal yet, though. I did like him in the beginning but then, some of his actions left me wondering about him.  I do think he’s a good character and, hopefully, we’ll learn a lot more about him in the next book.
Evangeline I , of course, hated but I guess that was the point and Maven turned out to be an interesting character as well.
Plotwise, the story developed nicely and at a good pace. I think the author did a great job creating this world divided between Silvers and Reds. The story is full of intrigue, deceit, twists, turns and a little romance.
Although I did figure out some things and people where not what and who they seems to be, some events at the end of the book still surprised me a little.
The book ended in a curious way and I can’t wait to find out what will happen next.
All in all, Red Queen is an entertaining and interesting story that’s well-written and imaginative.
This is a great start to a new series and I can’t wait for the next book! 

Rating: Somewhere between Worth Your Time and Must Read (4 Stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment