Friday, October 18, 2013

Interview with Sarah Alderson about the Lila Shortcuts

Interview with Sarah Alderson about the Lila Shortcuts




What inspired you to write the Lila series?

The short story is that I quit my job to travel the world and needed to find a way to make some money. Naively I thought I could write a book and get rich. Ha! But I did discover how much I loved writing in the process of writing the Lila series. I stumbled on my passion for which I'm eternally grateful. I was inspired by Twilight actually - because I wanted to read a book where the female character has the power and isn't a damsel in distress.


What is the hardest scene you ever had to write?

Well, I always find the crazy action scenes pretty hard to write, especially when there are multiple characters involved. The final showdown at Joshua Tree was tough to write and actually it was also the trickiest part of the screenplay to get right also. The romantic scenes are the easiest!


How did you come up with the titles of your books?

Hunting Lila was not the first or even second title for the book. I can't even remember how we came up with it. I think I sent a list and the publisher chose that one. I came up with the title for The Sound because of the body of water it references where the bodies of the murdered nannies wash up to shore. And because it kind of has a mysterious ring to it.


Do you have a favorite quote?

I like the one that Sara says to Lila in Hunting Lila: "He who fears to suffer, suffers from fear" - I'm all for taking risks in life. You'll never know how life might turn out unless you throw yourself into it whole-heartedly. It's OK to be scared and to fear failure, but rather try than live a life always wondering 'what if'.


What can you tell us about Lila Shortcuts?

It's a collection of 5 short stories all told from different points of view in stories set prior to Hunting Lila. It includes the already released Catching Suki, The Moment and Turning Amber and two previously unseen stories - from Demos (which will make you cry I hope) and Jack.


Is there anything else you would like your readers to know?

The steamy X-rated scene that was cut from Losing Lila is going to be published in January and will be available as part of the e-book bind up of Hunting Lila & Losing Lila.
:)


No comments:

Post a Comment