Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Interview with Jamie Marchant author of The Goddess Choice

Interview with Jamie Marchant author of The Goddess Choice




1 - When did you begin writing? Have you always wanted to be a writer?
I was about six when I started writing stories about the Man from Mars for my older sister, and I’ve wanted to be a writer ever since. I got sidetracked for awhile working on a Ph.D., but I’m back to what has always been my true love.

2 - Can you describe your book in 10 words or less?
A fairy tale retelling with intrigue, adventure, and romance.

3 - What inspired you to write your latest book?
The Goddess's Choice originates deep within my childhood. My sister Jalane--she is ten years older than me--told me stories, fairy tales mostly:  "Midas and His Golden Touch," "Little Red Riding Hood," "Hansel and Gretel." But my favorite was always "The Princess and the Glass Hill" or "The Glass Mountain" as my sister titled it. I had her tell that story over and over again. I was captivated by the bold hero on his magical horses of bronze, silver, and gold. 

When I had a child of my own, I wanted to pass that fairy tale on. My son, Jesse, loved it every bit as much as I had. One day after telling it to him, it came to me that the story could be so much more than five pages and sparse details. However, I didn’t want to write a children’s story but the type of epic fantasy I enjoy as an adult. I upped the dramatic tension, villainy, and sexuality of the piece to create something far different than the original fairy tale. The Goddess’s Choice is intended for an adult audience.

4 - What do you enjoy the most about the process of writing a book?
The high. When the words are flowing, it’s like being on drugs.

5 - Do you have a favorite author? If yes, who and why?
Jim Butcher. He has created a rich world with a compelling main character. Harry Dresden has the depth and vitality that I have tried to create in my own characters.

6 - Is there anything else you would like your readers to know?
I also have a novella out titled Demons in the Big Easy, and I’m hard at work on the sequel, tentatively titled The Soul Stone.


No comments:

Post a Comment