Sunday, January 15, 2012

Author Interview - Josphine Angelini





Josphine Angelini kindly answered a few of my questions. I hope you all enjoy the interview.







1 ? Did you always wanted to be a writer? If not when did you decide you wanted to be one?
JA: I've kept a journal since I was ten, so I've always written, but it took me a while to figure out that I was a writer.  I always held writers in such awe that I never thought I could actually be one.  I never thought I was smart enough, or original enough, or that the crazy stories I had floating around in my head would ever be the kind of thing that other people would be interested in reading.  I think a lot of young writers know what I'm talking about--when you really love something, fear of failing at it can cripple you.  It took me a long time to get over that and just write, but it was SO worth it!


2- What inspired you to write Starcrossed?
JA: I saw a copy of the Iliad sitting next to a copy of Romeo and Juliet on my bookshelf and wondered why no one had tried to tell the story of the Trojan War from the point of view of the two teenaged lovers who started it.  Then I set the whole thing in modern times.  It was a “Eureka” moment where I saw Homer’s heroes at their lockers between classes and the most beautiful woman in the world running cross-country in a goofy track uniform with her best friend.  The story really just came to me in a flash. 


3- Mythology plays an important part in Starcrossed. Have you always been interested in Mythology?
JA: I’ve always loved the Greek myths.  I am a big fan of fantasy and science fiction, and to me the Greek myths always seemed like the great grandmother of those genres.  I love all the old stories about gods, heroes and monsters.  I think they are so exciting.

On top of that, I was a classical theater major at NYU’s Tisch School of the Arts, so I had studied all the ancient Greek plays and a lot of Shakespeare.  This material is very familiar to me, and like they say, “Write what you know”.


4- What can you tell us about Dreamless?
JA: I am so excited for everyone to read it!  DREAMLESS is darker, and it has a lot more action.  A large portion of the story takes place in the Underworld, where Helen meets a mysterious (and really hot) stranger.  I can’t wait for everyone to meet Orion.


5 - What would you like your readers to know?
JA: I just finished the third book on New Year’s Eve, and I’m having separation anxiety.  That’s one thing I never counted on when I started this trilogy—that when I got the end of it, I would be so sad to say goodbye to all my characters! 


You can find Josphine at:
Official Website

Twitter

1 comment: